Medical Laboratory Technology (General, Diagnostic Cytology and Clinical Genetics)
If you are a recent graduate that has successfully completed an EQual™ Accredited Canadian Medical Laboratory Program in Medical Laboratory Technology, including the clinical placement rotation, you may be eligible to challenge our certification exam.
We will contact your educational institution on your behalf to verify that you have completed the program requirements. If we are unable to verify program completion, you will be required to provide to us one of the following at your own cost:
- a notarized copy of certificate and/or transcript confirming successful completion of an accredited educational institution (training program), or
- a verification of successful program completion (transcript and/or diploma) to be sent to the CSMLS directly from your educational institution
Not a Recent Graduate?
If you graduated more than 12 months ago and are interested in pursuing certification, the CSMLS will assess your prior education and experience to determine your eligibility to challenge the exam. This process is called a Prior Learning Assessment (PLA).
Read more about our Prior Learning Assessment process.
The CSMLS certification examinations are competency-based exams that test what you can do rather than simply reciting knowledge you acquired in school. It focuses on your ability to apply your knowledge in the laboratory, not simply 'textbook' learning.
The competency profiles describe the minimal practice requirements of Medical Laboratory Technologists (MLTs) at entry-level, in order to provide safe, effective and ethical patient care in a variety of work environments.
An Exam Blueprint is found within each Competency Profile. It shows the exam weighting for each category (ie. how many marks each category is worth on the exam). The Blueprints, along with the Competency Profiles, are valuable study tools.
Preparing for the Exam
All exam candidates are required to read and complete the Exam Handbook and Application.
The Handbook contains all the information you need to prepare for writing the exam. It includes:
View the Exam Handbook
- Policies and procedures that candidates need to follow
- Explanation of how the exam is created and scored
- Details on how to apply for exams and eligibility criteria
- What to expect after you write the exam
- And much more!