Improve Your Skills In Identification Of Blood Group...
Improve Your Skills in Identification of Blood Group Alloantibodies (9896-10)
Expand your skills in blood group serology through the use of a 4 step strategy to solving serological problems. Participants will also develop a routine of using non serological information and preliminary results to direct the investigation.
PEP hours: 16
CPS credits: 0
Course Type: Express
Start Date: Upon registration
Completion: Up to 52 weeks
Delivery: PDF via email
Equipment: Computer with Internet is required
- Describe four general steps in problem solving.
- Appreciate the non serological information which may help to guide the direction of investigation.
- Understand the basic rules and limitations of antibody identification.
- List the possible causes of inconclusive antibody identification.
- List the common strategies used to explain and to further investigate complex antibody problems.
- Understand the use of proteolytic enzymes and chemicals to modify red cells membrane in complex serological investigation.
- Conduct a thorough laboratory investigation to panagglutination due to alloantibody(ies).
- Work with customers (patient and patient’s family members, doctors and nurses) on clinical management of patients with antibody to high incidence antigen.
- Appreciate the need to learn the characteristics of both red cell antigens and their corresponding antibodies of blood group systems to solve problems in unusual or complicated cases.
Author/Instructor: Eric Ching, ART, MT(ASCP)SBB
Version Date: February 2010