Who We Are
The Canadian Society for Medical Laboratory Science (CSMLS) is the national certifying body for medical laboratory technologists and medical laboratory assistants, and the national professional society for Canada's medical laboratory professionals. We are a not-for-profit organization that is funded entirely by membership dues and revenues from goods and services. We do not receive operational funding from governments or other organizations.
Our members practice in hospital laboratories, private medical laboratories, public health laboratories, government laboratories, research and educational institutions. Incorporated in 1937 as the Canadian Society of Laboratory Technologists, the society has over 14,500 members in Canada and in countries around the world.
Our purpose is:
- To promote and maintain a nationally accepted standard of medical laboratory technology by which other health professionals and the public are assured of effective and economical laboratory services, and
- To promote, maintain and protect the professional identity and interests of the medical laboratory technologist and of the profession.
One of the major functions of CSMLS is to set qualification standards in medical laboratory science. We conduct exams across Canada and issue certificates to candidates who meet the prescribed standard. CSMLS provides prior learning assessment to internationally educated medical laboratory technologists who are seeking Canadian Certification. The PLA process evaluates an applicant’s academic credentials, language proficiency, clinical training and work experience and their level of competency to write the Certification examination.
Once members are certified, CSMLS provides professional development and continuing education programs to help members update their skills and knowledge, and achieve their professional goals. Our continuing education service provides distance education programs in technical and scientific subjects and laboratory management.
Excellence in medical laboratory science
To advance the profession through certification, education and advocacy
- Engage and empower the profession
- Lead and partner to advance patient safety
- Enhance organizational capacity
- Expand our sphere of influence
- We act with honesty and trustworthiness.
- We use democratic, open and transparent processes.
- We are responsible to our members and stakeholders.
- We promote high standards of practice.
- We build partnerships through consensus and collaboration.
- We value equality, dignity, diversity and confidentiality.
- We value, encourage and support members, volunteers and staff.
- We provide standards that ensure high quality medical laboratory professionals.
- We are proactive in meeting the needs of our members and our community.
The Canadian Society for Medical Laboratory Science holds a position on several issues that affect the medical laboratory profession in Canada.
CSMLS is governed by the Board of Directors. There are 11 members on the Board, each of whom is elected directly by the membership at large. Members of the Board are volunteers – most work in the field of medical laboratory science. Directors are nominated and voted into the Board on a three-year term schedule.
Chief Executive Officer
Director of Certification and Prior Learning Assessment
CSMLS has 25 full-time and 2 part-time staff all located at the main office in Hamilton, Ontario.